[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. September 25, 2018, 17:49:26 PM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Propagation
| | |-+  Ipomea/Morning Glory cuttings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ipomea/Morning Glory cuttings  (Read 14917 times)
jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
Ipomea/Morning Glory cuttings
« on: June 10, 2008, 18:53:01 PM »

Hi,

Anyone has any information regarding the propagation of Morning Glory or climbers in general? Can it be done through cuttings? If yes, what type of cuttings, how big should they be and also when would be the right time to do them? 
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Ipomea/Morning Glory cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:39:04 AM »

It is possible to layer Morning Glory, as it self-roots easily when in contact with soil. This option is preferable to taking cuttings as it is so easy in comparison. Another easy option is seed, they germinate readily and the seedlings grow fast.

As to climbers in general it is not possible to make a generic statement as each species is a completely different plant, the fact that they share a common growth habit does not really count for much in terms of propagation. However there is a slight tendency for climbers/creepers to be more receptive to layering.

MG

jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 20:10:56 PM »

Thanks, helpful as always Smiley
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
Re: Ipomoea/Morning Glory cuttings
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 14:04:42 PM »

I managed to root a morning glory cutting of the deep blue perenniel variety which does not seed easily, in compost enriched soil. Initially I protected cutting from the sun. It didn't wilt at all. About 10 days later it actually started growing so it must have established itself!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 20:52:26 PM by Avocado » Logged
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »

Good, you will find that if well watered especially at first (assume it will be planted in the ground) it can get quite rampant.

MG

jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 20:42:01 PM »

Wow Avocado, that's nice! Well from my part I have tried cuttings but haven't managed so far. I also tried by seeds - I was thrilled at first as quite a LOT had germinated, but when the seedlings were about 3 - 4 inches they just started to topple over one by one  Huh
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 21:59:16 PM »

Thanks. It's growing well now - climbing and branching. I had to use slug pellets because the snails attacked, but I seem to have controlled the problem now!

You can only get the perennial type of morning glory to root from cuttings.

Other varieties like the annual Heavenly Blue must be sown from seed in late spring/early summer really, as they die when the rains start and it gets colder.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »

I also tried by seeds - I was thrilled at first as quite a LOT had germinated, but when the seedlings were about 3 - 4 inches they just started to topple over one by one  Huh

Probably, this is "damping off" - fungus attack the seedling's roots. To prevent this, use new compost and be careful not to overwater. There are chemical controls also - in the UK one can buy "Cheshunt Compound" specifically for this problem.

Watering with a weak copper sulphate solution may also help as it is fungicidal.

MG

jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:57 AM »

Thanks MG, I will definitely try it next time round.
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 18:11:53 PM »

Regarding the Heavenly Blue Annual variety - there are some lovely plants in flower outside Wied Incita Nursery(close to Mount Carmel Hospital) in Attard.

The perennial varieties I see are growing outside a house close to the Old Mill in Mosta, which is purple in colour. A lovely blue one is on the roadside on the road from Wied il-Qlejja to Targa Gap  Mosta.

They are at their best now, but soon it will get cold and they will  start to die back!

Yes. I agree with MG about the blue vitriol Copper Sulphate (dilute!) , but we've certainly got to wait till Spring now anyway. I bought the seeds recently but I'll sow them in late  Spring.
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »

It's July and I've been enjoying a daily display of  Ocean Blue Morning glory   (Ipomoea indica) flowers since June now. The flowers are initially blue turning through purple and eventually red-purple.

I looked up this characteristic and found an interesting scientific account -

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=100369

I am now looking forward to the Moonflower (I.alba) and Heavenly blue  (I.tricolor) vines joining in a splendid summer display of colour all day and fragrant showy white blooms in the stillness of the night too!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:36:51 AM by Avocado » Logged
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »

Now you see why this plant is so special - maybe one day we'll get blue roses....

and look at this Moon flower site :-  Cheesy

http://www.moonlightsys.com/themoon/flower.html

Cool

Have a GREAT SUMMER!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 13:14:40 PM by Avocado » Logged
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »

I found this Japanese web site interesting. Their experience with Ipomoea is most illuminating.

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/Ipomoea/index.html

I contacted them re. cross pollination of (Moonflower) I.alba and I.indica but they think it would be very difficult to get viable embyros/seeds from this cross...  Sad

Avo
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 13:46:05 PM »

Went to see aqueducts in Attard - The Ipomoea indica is growing there too - wild and really doing well.

In Australia it has clambered over forest vegetation and killed off trees!

So although it has really attractive foliage and flowers - beware it's invasive...  Shocked
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »

A year ago I was surprised to see both mauve and blue flowers on Ipomoea during the day. Now I have established that this happens because the flowers virtually last 2 days before wilting and falling. The fresh flowers open bright blue and are mauve almost pink the next. So both colours are seen side by side. Undoubtedly cooler damper (dew) days and nights provide the right conditions for this to happen.

The same applies to the Moonflower whose evening opening flowers last till even 11 am before wilting... So at the time of keying in entry both Ipomoea alba and indica are in flower! What a sight!  Smiley

I have attempted to cross-pollinate these species but although seed pod formed I doubt viable offspring are possible. It may also have self pollinated so pods may just have the usual I.alba seeds. Only time will tell. For now I have tied a loose tie round the branch to mark the experimental material! I must Not count the chickens before they hatch....  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length