[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. September 22, 2018, 16:35:24 PM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Ornamental Trees, Shrubs and Perennial Plants
| | |-+  Plumeria / Frangipani / Lei flower
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Plumeria / Frangipani / Lei flower  (Read 6335 times)
jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
Plumeria / Frangipani / Lei flower
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »

Hi,

I recently came accross this flowering plant on the internet - Plumeria - native to hawaii. I would like to have one but have no clue if it has been imported to Malta - I never saw any here.

Any ideas where I can find one? And also, do you think it would survive here in Malta? Somehow I imagine that it would, given that in hawaii it is hot and humid too, but I am not sure.

Thanks and good day
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Plumeria / Frangipani / Lei flower
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 14:27:17 PM »

It certainly does, it does well too, there are a number in private gardens around the island, grows into a medium sized tree - largest I saw was around 1 1/2 stories high, in Sta Venera.

The commonest are the pale white/yellow flowered, next is one with pale pink flowers, I have never locally seen any of the other colours available but no big deal for them to also be present.

Currently leafless as these trees are deciduous.

You may see both colours in a front garden a bit further up from Scan Computers - again, currently bare.

Propagation is generally by cuttings taken any time during the winter but possibly at least a month before the tree is scheduled to show it's leaves so now may be a bit late. A larger cutting say 30-40 cm responds quicker than a smaller one, although the last I propagated this, I had an extra large cutting that I reduced in length and the smaller bit, about 20cm, did eventually root also, but was far slower than the large one to show growth.

The cut needs to be allowed to heal over for some weeks before being planted out in humid (never soaked) compost.

Some authorities say it is even possible to take cuttings in late Autumn after the leaves have dropped, just store them in a cool dry place, and plant them out say in February or thereabouts. This is however normally done to avoid the cuttings unnecessarily being out in the freezing cold overwinter in cooler climates. Personally I would cut in Jan, stick in Feb and by May the root system would have been well established to support the leaf growth for a full growing season.

Once established, a large pot will do fine, but the garden is the best place for this. If the soil is excessively dry the leaves will also drop in Summer so recommend watering in the hottest months.

MG

jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 19:53:49 PM »

Thanks for the information Smiley  Hmm.. interesting. I came across a website where it sells plumeria seeds. would you recommend I try them out from seeds? More important - are there any regulations regarding importing seeds from abroad? or perhaps seedlings? any particular country?
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 20:36:37 PM »

I think that starting from seed may be a particularly slow method of propagation when cuttings are so easy. This tree seems to grow around 6" a year so I think that starting from seed would require about 3 years to get to the same size as a decent cutting. I would not describe this as being a particularly fast grower as it does tend to spend quite some time dormant, therefore any advantage that may be gained at the start is always most welcome.

Aside, importing seeds is not a problem.

MG

daleinad84
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »

Hi good morning, I just came across this post and wanted to ask where I can obtain frangipani cuttings please... it would be great if you could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 00:34:18 AM »

Hi good morning, I just came across this post and wanted to ask where I can obtain frangipani cuttings please... it would be great if you could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Well unfortunately you will have to ask some owners, I could offer but it will be a while. Depending on this year's growth by the time leaves drop I may or may not prune back my rather small specimen later in the year, it's potted so I will eventually do that to encourage bushy growth.

Or it may be next year...(!)

If I do I will bear your request in mind. In the meantime good luck elsewhere, too.

MG

daleinad84
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 14:08:41 PM »

many thanks for your reply and sincere apologies for my delayed reply.

Can I kindly ask if it's too late to take you up on your offer of a frangipani cutting? Would now be the right time to plant it?

Thanks a lot
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 20:11:38 PM »

Hi unfortunately I decided I won't be pruning this year but I will next, as otherwise I will not be getting any flowers next Spring / Summer.

However this is the right time to take cuttings so go ahead!

MG

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length