[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. November 14, 2018, 01:06:28 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Pests, Diseases and Weeds
| | |-+  Red Palm Weevil
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Red Palm Weevil  (Read 15495 times)
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Red Palm Weevil
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:35 AM »

As you may know, palm trees in Malta are under serious threat from the Red Palm Weevil.

Initially directing this topic Andy's way to gather any comments about what may be done to control this devastating insect.

MG

aspy1
Sunflower

View Profile
Red Palm Weevil
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 15:28:16 PM »

Scicly and Spain (including the canaries, where the problem started!) are having efficiency with the following:
Dimethoate, Endosulfan, and Dichlorvos, but this is all post treatment. There is a great deal of investigative work being done on injecting the trunk with a systemic as a precautionary for RPW. but this is under great scrutiny as an expensive course of action. I disagree strongly. if people see a stunning canariensis that is twenty or thirty years old, what cost could you put on replacing it.
Biggest advice, dont cut the throngs until its absolutely essential
A good pesticide that is available in GC form is Nogos 50EC. this is as good as Dimethoate. Good luck and LOOK OUT FOR THOSE CRITTERS! the grubs will be coming up to the third stage soon (April) then they WALK!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 15:45:09 PM by MG » Logged
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Red Palm Weevil
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 16:31:24 PM »

Hi Andy, are those applied externally or else injected?

I agree with you that some form of preventative treatment is necessary if this pest is to be controlled effectively. After all these trees can grow to be over a century old so by my reasoning so all they need is to get infected once in a hundred years...

BTW what are throngs? Do you mean fronds? How does that help in preventing the tree from being colonised?

I have recently sprayed my palms with a microencapsulated slow release pesticide - Pyrinex Quick (Deltamethrin 54%, Chlorpyrifos 22.6%) which was recommended for some other bugs that are wreaking havoc on some almond trees. It was practically ineffective in protecting the latter. Wonder if that will be of any help in preventing infection.

Thanks

MG

aspy1
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »

My mistake! English language interpretation!!!! (or bad spelling) Wink
Nogos and Dimethoate are both Injected and Sprayed.
I was told by an official, when the RPW is active and seaching for a host plant, studies have shown that any new cuts to branches make access easier for the PW to lay eggs in the soft exposed tissue! ((to be honest, due to nature of the insect, and how it is equiped to bore into the branches, I dont think this will make much difference) But, if this is some meanial way of control, then its worth taking precautions, and then maybe it will move on to the next host tree?
If anybody has doubts, or worried about a plam on their grounds, I do knoe that the Environmental Landscapes Consortium in Attard do carry out control for a very small fee. they are very active around the Island spraying/wrapping infected palms. this might be a consideration by some.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »

Thanks for that. Is any form of control based on the application of a long lasting pesticide that kills or at least repels the RPW from laying it's eggs?

Maybe non-drying oil-based? I'm also wondering whether spraying the trees with something that isn't really a pesticide such as some form of light oil/kerosene mix which would make the tree smell like anything but a palm tree - whether that would keep the laying females away, and of course whether the treatment itself was likely to harm the tree.

MG

aspy1
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 14:02:45 PM »

Your heading in the right diection but alas, very limited effect. I believe you have a product here called Sunny Neen oil, this has been trialed but with limited control, back in the UK we had a great deal of success controling a wide number of pests with an OMEX brand called SW7. its just a wetting agent that is Silicon Based, It happened by accident using it as a wetter that physically broke down a wide range of pests including Vine weevil. Spraying oil is an option I am just unsure of how it will react to transpiration once sprayed?
I once grew 45,000 Cordyline Red Star for a company and sprayed with an oil based solution and we had big problems! So advice would be to trial on a small active palm before risking the mature palms.
As you know MG, Mother nature can not be easily fooled, they are here for a reason, not sure if a scent deterent would work, although a garlic based product might have some control. Hmmmm you have got me thinking now!
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 15:18:58 PM »

I'm just thinking that the females must locate Palm trees by the scent - I don't think they have good enough eyesight or intelligence to know what a palm tree actually LOOKS like.

I'm thinking that if you spray the tree with something that has a rather powerful smell and dries out only very slowly - who knows, maybe even a natural oil like linseed, with added repellant fragrances or just simply something strong - the bug will not be able to smell the typical palm tree odour, and maybe with a couple of sprayings a year there would be some containment of the problem. I think that external sprayings of the trunk and crown - guess no need for the fronds to be treated - with near enough anything should not cause harm, let alone something like linseed oil.

Seems that they attack canariensis primarily, I have not as yet seen a dactilifera killed though of course they do attack these in other countries and to start off with we have more of the former than the latter. Maybe the canariensis smell nicer too...

MG

jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:04 AM »

Hello,

There is an interesting article in the Times of Malta dated Tuesday 22nd April regarding this subject - it says that a palm tree has been saved from the red palm weevil.. Can maybe the same process be applied to other palm trees? Is there any factor of luck involved in this?   
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 01:00:20 AM »

From what I read the process was very, very far from practicable to apply to all trees suspected to have been infested.

My concern is that practically nothing is being done for so many trees which are infested. These should be removed immediately and destroyed.

Considering that a palm tree can live for over a hundred years, it takes only one weevil once in a hundred years to visit for that tree to be killed.

Therefore unless the matter is taken more seriously, what this means is that all palm trees are condemned and Malta will be a palm free zone.

If you have any palm trees, I suggest regular spraying with a slow release pesticide especially during Spring/Summer to prevent the weevils from laying eggs, or at least killing them/the larvae when they are still at the surface.

MG

olivetree
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 16:53:15 PM »

Hi.  Is Chamaerops attacked by the weevil too?
jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 19:31:24 PM »

How sad it is to see such strong trees being destroyed like that.

I have two 'palms' right now, they are still very small though.  I planted date seeds and they germinated and emerged by the end of last summer. For now they have just two thin fan-like leaves each about 10-15cm long.

Can the red palm weevil affect them at this stage? 
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 20:11:26 PM »

At the moment affected trees appear to be mature P. canariensis. Now it may well be because that is the most common palm, and for no other reason, but I have not yet seen a P. dactilifera (Date palm) affected, although apparently this is also a host, as these trees are affected in countries such as Egypt, etc.

Very small trees are unlikely to be affected, but that is little consolation.

No idea about C. humilis, but who knows, this bug may be versatile.

MG

Jetset
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 20:40:49 PM »

It has become madatory to register all palm trees with the agriculture department.  This is part of the campaign to combat the RPW.

All palm trees with a stem diameter of 5 cm (irrispective if they are in pots or planted in ground) are susceptible to the RPW and thus must be registered.

This can be done by:

Calling the Plant Health Department on 23397222 / 223 or calling on freephone 80072310 and giving details about species of susceptible plant, amount of trees and location where they are found, or
Visiting the Plant Health Department’s website, www.planthealth.gov.mt and forward above details through "Contact Us", or
filling the palm tree registration form (found online) . This can be sent to plant.health@gov.mt or to Plant Health Department (Palm Tree Registration), Annibale Preca Str, Lija
Jetset
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 19:22:18 PM »

For anyone concerned about the RPW, here is the advice sent by the Government's Plant Health Department, regarding preventitive measures.  This is the time the RPW becomes active so if you need to, do it now:

Red Palm Weevil Prevention/Control

Referring to your call / e-mail at our office, please find attached the list of active ingredients that can be used for the prevention of Red Palm Weevil.  The active ingredients Thaimethoxam and Imidacloprid are two systemic insecticides that move inside the trees xylem thus being more efficient than other non-systemic insecticides.

Pesticide solutions should be applied at the crown of the palm tree. A solution of 10 to 20 litres is advised per tree and the treatment should be administered as true showers (not spray). It is important to alternate with different active ingredients to prevent the weevil from building resistance to the treatment.

Frequency of treatments should be applied depending on the product (Active Ingredient) used such information can be obtained from the product label. As a rule of thumb six treatments per year should be applied focusing more in the hotter days where the insect is particularly active. 

The pruning of palm trees should only be limited to dead fronds since any exposed wounds can attract weevils. Such wounds can be use as an entry point where females lay eggs (approx  250eggs at 25 per tree). Should the pruning of green fronds be necessary, it is important to treat the wounds with appropriate pesticides to minimize the attraction of RPW.

To a lesser extent mothballs (ex-naphthalene balls) can be used as a mild repellent for the Red Palm Weevil aiming at discouraging female from laying eggs. A small amount of balls (4-6 balls) can be put in a mesh bag and placed close to the crown of the palm tree. Two to three such bags can also be suspended from the tree.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact the Surveillance and Inspectorate Unit (SIU). Further information on Red Palm Weevil can be obtained from the Plant Health Department website: www.planthealth.gov.mt

List of Active Ingredients (A.I) for the protection and control of Palm trees against Red Palm Weevil

Abamectin   Imidacloprid
Dimethoate    Chlorpyrifos
Chlorpyrifos – Methyl
   Thaimethoxam

Deltamethrin
   Cypermethrin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phone:  +356 23397545            Fax: +356 21411693
Plant Health Department           Surveillance and inspectorate Unit
PBC Annibale Preca Street,        Lija LJA1915 Malta EU
Email: plantquarantine@gov.mt      URL: www.planthealth.gov.mt 

olivetree