[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. December 10, 2018, 10:31:33 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Native (Indigenous) Malta Trees and Plants
| | |-+  Pistacia Lentiscus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pistacia Lentiscus  (Read 3385 times)
Safsaf
Geranium

View Profile
Pistacia Lentiscus
« on: September 08, 2012, 15:24:02 PM »

Is this tree indigenous to Malta? I may be wrong but I believe we have two varieties, one with larger leaves and one with smaller leaves, any comments ?I'll post pics if need be as may be wrong.
Secondly, sources state that this tree is cultivated for a couple of reasons but most intriguingly for its resin that is dried and chewed on, known as mastic. Is there any such history of use in Malta ?
My last question, being a pistacia, would grafting pistachio nut  pistacia vera be possible ?
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Pistacia Lentiscus
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 18:13:30 PM »

Indigenous yes, but differentiate from ENDEMIC which it is not.

I only know of one variety of the species - there is another tree commonly street planted (the name escapes me at the moment) that looks similar but is not the same species or genus at all, and has larger leaves. See it on the Bkara bypass, Balzan end especially.

The Maltese name for P. lentiscus is Deru, I have no idea whether it was ever used for any purpose locally.

MG

officer
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 19:48:51 PM »

Hey MG.

Would the name that escapes you be Schinus terebinthifolius?
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »

Hey MG.

Would the name that escapes you be Schinus terebinthifolius?

It certainly is!

MG

BBF
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 14:35:08 PM »

I had exactly the same question, thanks for the answer.
The Deru grows in the steepe, and garigue in Malta, is extremly tough, has smaller leaves and greener in colour, produces small red berries; wonder why not planted around roads traffic islands, would do really well, I imagine.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 19:03:38 PM by BBF » Logged
Safsaf
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »

Thank you all very much for your kind input. In fact I do believe it is a schinus treb.
Funnily enough I was going I over the legal notice 200 2011 and it is listed as an invasive pest. My curiosity in the tree was for that reason as a few have popped up.

Ate there any authorities that will help you control this pest?
I read that triclopyr ester is the chemical for the job. Is this legal in Malta? And who stocks it?
Best regards
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 13:32:23 PM »

Yes Schinus can be invasive, it certainly self-propagates where the conditions are right and grows rather quickly.

I would add that there are far more invasive species than this however, and some of them it seems, have the potential to cause ecological disasters. Sadly I will also add that these are underway right now, because no-one is doing anything much about the issue. No amount of legal notices will uproot a single invasive plant.

Properly invasive plants have for all practical purposes the potential to be uncontrollable, the translation of that would be "hideously expensive" hence once a critical mass is reached an irreversible change in the ecosystem via the obliteration of the indigenous one is the result.

And this happens in our most rich, fragile and endangered zones i.e. our valleys.

MG

paulradmilli
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »

Which is the best month to collect seeds from this tree? Will it have a seed pod or is the seed contained in the berry-like fruit?
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 22:15:25 PM »

Berries to be collected in autumn when they start turning black, seed is within the berry. I have this idea that the seeds have serious dormancy issues, need to look this up.

Having said that, had one pop up unexpectedly in a pot where something else was growing.

Probably easiest to buy a plant, these are available for purchase from some garden centres.

MG

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length