[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. October 18, 2018, 09:22:53 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Annuals and Bulbs
| | |-+  Amaryllis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Amaryllis  (Read 1614 times)
CharlesC
Geranium

View Profile
Amaryllis
« on: October 01, 2015, 16:15:12 PM »

I have 30 amaryllis bulbs in pots but the last years only about four come to flower. What can I do to induce flowering? The leaves do not seem ever to die down. Shall I repot them even though the be in leaf. And in case when. I do feed them and water them. They have a lot of sun too. Thanks. Charles Crbtt
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Amaryllis
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 20:30:37 PM »

Hi, I have a number of bulbs and some of them even put out two flowering stalks each, so no complaints there.

They only die down for around a month or two around Jan-Feb.

The main thing to understand with any flowering bulbs is that the way they are cared for when in leaf will determine what happens come flowering time.

Water sufficiently especially in summer (but never too much), feed occasionally, and as long as the plants are healthy and in full sun or near enough for most of the year, the bulbs will grow and will produce flowering stalks come March/April or thereabouts.

As long as the bulbs are in leaf, care for them as above.

I use compost and pots that are not too large but this does not appear to be critical, they can also be grown in the garden.

Slugs and snails are Enemy no. 1 so protect them. Second enemy is too much water in the cooler months. That is why compost and good drainage is so important.

Mine flower profusely and every year produce seed, not too many if left to their own devices, but a lot if pollinated manually.

MG

CharlesC
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 18:58:43 PM »

Thanks for advice. My problem is that the amaryllis leaves never die down? Is it because of where the pots are placed ... Too much sun perhaps?
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 18:14:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure that as long as they are outdoors they will die down around Feb.

Mine are also in full sun.

If they don't perhaps you could place them in a cool place under cover where they can't get any water, around the end of Jan. Do this when they are quite dry however, not soggy, else they will rot.

Then place them in their usual place one month later.

The added coolness of the location chosen and the lack of water should do the trick.

MG

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length