[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. October 18, 2018, 09:14:17 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Pests, Diseases and Weeds
| | |-+  Organic pesticides
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Organic pesticides  (Read 3110 times)
MeImNot
Geranium

View Profile
Organic pesticides
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »

Hello!

I am new on this forum and also to gardening so I may be asking a lot of questions  Cheesy

I have a small garden with 1 lemon, 3 orange, 1 apricot and a hibiscus tree. These trees were left uncared for for 5 years or so and they were in a pretty bad shape. With some TLC they are now looking much better but I still have to battle with some serious amounts of pests (mostly aphids, cushion scales and ants). I have some tortoises living under these trees so have to avoid using chemical pesticides and so am using soapy water to control the aphids etc. and a bandage around the trunk with some permethrin spray ( I know it's not organic :/ ) to control the ants and it's going pretty well.

My problem is that I'm struggling to find shops selling organic stuff (neem oil,  diatomaceous earth etc.) so I was wondering if any of you guys know if these exist in Malta.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:04:38 AM by MeImNot » Logged
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Organic pesticides
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 15:16:12 PM »

Ants are not so much a problem as the aphids that they carry and farm, and water with soap deals with the latter quite effectively. Never use too much however because the soap can burn leaves.

Scale insects are dealt with using any mineral oil based pesticide. Basically just mineral oil, emulsified, and otherwise quite harmless.

Agri-Coop sell a product called Chemol which is quite inexpensive too.

If you must use conventional products that may harm your pets, you could consider relocating them for a day or two while you spray and allow the odours to dissipate.

You will at some point likely have to deal with fruit fly.

MG

MeImNot
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 22:38:12 PM »

Thanks for the tips MG (I still need to go buy Chemol).

I have managed to almost completely eliminate aphids by controlling ants, no easy feat considering the thousands I have ready to pounce. I have successfully used a mix of boric acid and sugar as bait.

The permethrin bandages around the trunks have worked a treat and guarantees at least 4 weeks of protection.

I'm thinking that the fruit fly is something that needs to dealt with now, am I right and if so what should I be using?

Thank you!
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 13:35:17 PM »

Your best bet yet again would be to ask at Agri Co-op because brand names vary and you might want to consider a product that deals with more than one pest.

It is also possible to build traps for them, a quick search in Google will be useful. Importantly, never leave any fallen fruit underneath trees, or mouldy/rotting fruit in the tree.

MG

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length