[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. October 18, 2018, 08:45:41 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Propagation
| | |-+  Avocado
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Avocado  (Read 8364 times)
konti
Tamarisk

View Profile
Avocado
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »

I have sown an avocado seed in a 4-inch pot and suspended another one in water using tooth picks.  After waiting for TWO YEARS the one in the pot has shown up in the form of a stalk, about 4 inches tall with a hint of green foliage at the tip.
I checked about the avocado on the Internet and was rather taken aback when I read that the root system is extensive and will choke out nearby plants, so they should be given plenty of room--up to 20 feet.  I do not know what my next step should be because my garden is only 11 feet wide.
konti
Tamarisk

View Profile
Re: Avocado
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 17:28:09 PM »

My Avocado is now about nine inches tall.  I have put it in a larger pot, with a layer of cow manure under the roots, and the plant is doing well.   Smiley
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 14:28:55 PM »

Nice, hope it does well, never had much luck with these.

MG

Safsaf
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »

Any luck re avocados? I have tried a good 20  all from seed unsuccessfully, for all sorts of reasons. Last year I planted a further 10 and 6 seem to be doing better than usual.

From my experience, planting in soil as soon as possible yields best results. They like a good bright day and hate wind. Top cutting at around 11 inches also seems to produces a sturdier leafier stalk. Plenty of water for first 2 years.

Truly frustrating experience but determined not to give up. Any success stories ?
konti
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 18:29:57 PM »

My Avocado did not survive, I'm afraid. Now that I have grown rather too old to manage gardening, I decided to give up on the Avocado.

My interest has changed to chilli pepper. I have had very good success with the Bishop's Crown which produces hot chillies that also look very attractive.
debono1979
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 21:04:42 PM »

2 months ago i bought an avocado plant and replanted it in the garden till now its doing well, the guy that i bought it from told me that it hates wind which when it will grow taller it will have a lot.
Cordpa
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 19:22:11 PM »

I have had good results with Avocado. Always use fresh Avocado seeds. Just put in water using the 3 toothpick method. Leave until roots show. Then plant out in normal soil. I have had about 80% success. Presently I only have 1 plant left but it is 2 feet tall and full of leaves. Never had fruit formed though.
konti
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 19:47:44 PM »

Thanks.  Presently I have 2 seeds.  Will try again!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length