[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. December 10, 2018, 09:56:14 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  General Gardening Talk
| | |-+  worm composting - Vermiculture
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: worm composting - Vermiculture  (Read 11978 times)
cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
worm composting - Vermiculture
« on: May 07, 2011, 20:31:19 PM »

Hi,

I am trying to start a wormery for composting. However I am not able to find any worms to start. Any idea where I may find any or who may be willing to provide some?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: worm composting - Vermiculture
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »

Is there not someone on here who is into this bigtime?

A search should help.

MG

cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »

Hi MG,

I ran a search in this forum and one name came up. There is one member in this forum that goes by the name of "composter". His registered email address does not work anymore unfortunately. Maybe someone can help?

Thanks for the interest. I would appreciate any help.
Marthese
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 22:24:16 PM »

Hi I've just posted a question about your query too.  Did you manage to find worms at all?

cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 22:41:49 PM »

Hi Marthese,

Unfortunately not but I have not lost hope yet. I plan to get in touch with our experimental farm (Ghammieri) at Luqa and with an old friend of mine who was searching as well for these worm. Also there is the possibility of getting them through ebay.

I have a question for you - did you find a suitable container for starting your farm?

Let me know.

Good luck
debono1979
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 16:41:20 PM »

Are these special worms or like the worms you find in the soil ?
cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 19:01:03 PM »

Check out my reply to your post in your column. These are not your typical worms which you will find by digging up soil. The worms you get that way are pretty much useless for two reasons - they do not turn over compost at an appreciable rate and do not stand the pH of the final compost well as composting worms. Moreover composting worms devide more rapidly.

If you manage to find pls let me know. Rest assured I'll do the same.

Good luck
debono1979
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 17:35:18 PM »

I was asking since i have a compost bin and sometimes i see some small white worms, maybe they come from the chicken manure i put in it. i know i  am not supposed to put manure in the compost bin but i bought the compost bin for the manure but now i use it to recycle everything. but chickens are the best for recycling they eat whats eatable and the rest they grind it to pieced.
cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 22:03:48 PM »

The worms you need are generally called red worms or red wriglers. Their proper names are Eisenia fetida and Eisenia andreii. Also used are Lumbricus rubellus and Eisenia hortensis which is also referred to as the European / Belgian dendrobaenas or dendras. These are blood red worms and are larger than the typical earthworm you find in our soil.

In fact these are not found in our typical soil. They live in compost rich soil and manure areas.

The small white worms that you found are probably fly larvae unless the chickens have intestinal parasites which are passed on with their excreta. Be careful when you handle and check out what kind of worm it is.

You can put any kind of manure in a wormery EXCEPT poultry manure. It is to high in nitrogen and mineral and it can turn your wormery too acidic for the worms.

The normal compost bin is not suitable for a wormery - the worms will need several holes in the bin to let air in the compost but prevent worms from escaping, it needs to allow fluid from the decaying matter to drain and should allow for harvesting from the top.

Feel free to ask if you need more info.
debono1979
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 17:51:11 PM »

I bought the compost bin from wasteserve for Euro 35 its fairly big but when you have a garden you throw all sorts of things you fill it immediately. I throw everything in it, paper, leaves, wood chips, but most of the green leaves and kitchen scraps i feed them to the chicken first. I empty it from the bottom (it has a small opening) when i see the compost fairly dry i pull it with a small shovel and spread it in the garden and later i mow it.
cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 20:48:05 PM »

Hi debono1979

A copost bin is good for general composting but it is not suitable for worm composting. Here is a web link that shows you how to make a simple but effective worm bin for composting:

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

Note it has to be small, full of small holes, and with a drainage system.

Incidentally can I ask you whether you managed to propagate your bottlebrush? I have a special interest in propagating from cuttings.

Cheers
debono1979
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 15:26:52 PM »

No tried several times (cuttings) but did not succeed, right now i have some luffa in the garden
NoNameYet
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »

I'm interested to start my own wormery too. My main concern at the moment is where to buy the red wrigglers from if you can help with that please.
cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »

Hi,

I managed to get hold of a very small quantity of red wrigglers this Spring. Summer was too hot for them to multiply but I am hoping their number will pick up by the end of next year.

If you are still interested today next year send me a message. Hopefully by that time the worm population would have grown enough.

Unfortunately these worms are not for sale here and are not easily obtained from abroad.       
NoNameYet
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »

I am considering importation, what I don't know about is if permits etc are required.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length