[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. November 15, 2018, 02:42:43 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Fruit, Vegetable and Herb Gardening
| | |-+  citrus trees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: citrus trees  (Read 14660 times)
joseph
Geranium

View Profile
citrus trees
« on: August 19, 2007, 21:31:30 PM »

I BOUGHT 3 CITRUS TREES 1 LEMON, 1 MANDOLIN AND 1ORANGE, AND ALL ARE GROWING CURLY LEAVES. WOULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP, AND TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: citrus trees
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:29:46 AM »

It is definitely some form of pest or disease, suggest you take a leaf to a garden center for proper diagnosis.

Take a look here, also:

http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/old_archives/arid_gardener/2002-March/007980.html

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390462

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg071153081423.html

http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0820110027565.html

MG

Jetset
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 23:13:49 PM »

When is it best to spray citrus with fungiside and insecticide?
martcam
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 15:03:10 PM »

Best in the evening, as soon as you see progress (getting worse and worse) of the symptoms of the disease. Make sure to follow the dosage as leaves of citrus fruits are somehow sensible to chemicals.

I have a question related to pruning of Citrus trees where I have heard 2 different versions: What is your belief between:

1) Pruning citrus trees in January (just before formation of new leaves)
2) Pruning citrus trees in April/May (just after flowering / before fruiting)

Jetset
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 18:01:40 PM »

Re when to prune i was told january, when the tree is free of fruit.  Problem is that mine still have fruit in March!!

Same as last year, this year I have big problems with 'mista' and white fly.  I have been spraying every 2 weeks or so from around April/May and the problems have not been resolved.

I have been to Co-op 3 times in 2 years regarding this problem and 3 different pestisides later, I am still having problems.  Even the rains haven't rid me of the white fly.  The fruit are already full of black spots and the leaves have a blackend to and like sugar at the bottom.  I have noticed that the white fly take refuge even in the sardinel and other shrubs, even weeds.

Am I doing something wrong?
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:36:46 AM »

Try buying those rectangular yellow sticky plastic insect traps suspended in the trees' branches.

Very effective as many insects sadly even beneficial ones will be caught. Two years ago even a small yellow bird  (Ghasfur tal-maltemp) was caught by its wings! Fortunately I freed it in time!

These traps are usually available at Zammit Nursery in Qormi. Don't mean to advertise but then you need to know where to obtain product too!

That way you avoid pesticides - all too soon fruit can start being harvsested. Don't worry when you cut the fruit, the black sticky mess on them is easily washed away using soapy water!
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 14:41:26 PM »

These traps are usually available at Zammit Nursery in Qormi. Don't mean to advertise but then you need to know where to obtain product too!

No problem at all to recommend for the benefit of visitors.

MG

JB
Geranium

View Profile
Re: Keeping citrus trees pest free - SAFELY.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »

I am an amateur gardener and I have 120 mature citrus trees in my garden which is an old orange grove with  40 ft surrounding walls. Some of my trees are at least 80 years old and surprisingly still bare fruit - my annual crop is around 700Kg. (which I sell to a hotel).

I noted some comments about which pesticides to use  so I decided to give some humble advise based on my experience over the past 5 years.

I have many pets including tortoises and a fish pond so I do not to use chemical pesticides for obvious reasons. I also worry about the health issue and would rather lose my crop than get cancer from the vile sprays!

One of your contributors recommended the yellow glue traps. I have tried them and found them to be quite inefficient as well as unsightly as you need to hang a lot of them to have any effect and when they are full they can look disgusting ! - Furthermore they are very time consuming as you have to hang them and then remove them when they are full. The main reason I stopped using them was that they killed / injured quite a few birds who got stuck to them !

I have found the best option is to spray with a VERY SMALL amount of dish washing liquid detergent diluted with water and a few drops of vegetable oil. This has worked wonders and is safe to use (and smells quite nice)

The downside is that you have to spray quite frequently but it is worth it. It is important NOT to spray in bright sunshine, so early evening is best.

Most importantly give the trees a lot of NUTRIENTS. I have found that a tree can survive these pests if it is healthy & strong. I favour slow release pellets which are scattered around the trees and melt slowly with watering.

The MAIN problem I have in the garden is SNAILS. I have tried many non toxic ways to get rid of them and it seems to be a loosing battle !
They can cause havoc to the fruit.

ANY SUGGESTIONS (NON TOXIC) WOULD BE MOST WELCOME.

MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Keeping citrus trees pest free - SAFELY.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 14:21:09 PM »

The MAIN problem I have in the garden is SNAILS. I have tried many non toxic ways to get rid of them and it seems to be a loosing battle !
They can cause havoc to the fruit.

ANY SUGGESTIONS (NON TOXIC) WOULD BE MOST WELCOME.

You could try a hedgehog!

MG

Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 21:29:36 PM »

Possibly beer in a saucer! They get drunk .... Cheers Cheesy
JB
Geranium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 15:40:11 PM »

I tried the beer .. and it is true the snails love it and gather in large numbers in and around the container so it is easier to collect and dispose of them  - THANKS for the tip AVOCADO

@MG - the hedgehog idea sounds logical but where does one get one from?
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 16:22:24 PM »

Well you could "borrow" one from the wild for a week or so  Wink

I remember that we had one that just turned up that ate most of the millepedes in the garden too.

Bear in mind that once the job is done, the hedgehog still needs to feed so it will be time to return it to nature!

MG

Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 20:33:35 PM »

Is anyone else seeing out of season blossoms on their Grapefruit trees at present along with maturing fruit?

Huh

MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 14:26:59 PM »

Yes...

MG

Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile