[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. November 14, 2018, 02:21:51 AM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Ornamental Trees, Shrubs and Perennial Plants
| | |-+  Ornamental ID - Asteraceae
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ornamental ID - Asteraceae  (Read 3716 times)
MWP
Tamarisk

View Profile
Ornamental ID - Asteraceae
« on: July 11, 2009, 17:05:27 PM »

Not a rare outdoor ornamental species and perhaps someone is familiar with it in this forum before I take the hasle to research it.

It was found in some hotel at Marfa.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Ornamental ID - Asteraceae
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 00:45:24 AM »

It was found at the Ramla Bay Hotel  Wink

MG

MWP
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »

To be precise and if it matters I found these at Riviera Hotel, Marfa. So what is the species?

MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 13:58:54 PM »

To be precise and if it matters I found these at Riviera Hotel, Marfa. So what is the species?

Then it must be a plant of the "north"  Grin  Grin

No idea. Ornamentals in gardening really means "potentially any plant out of all the plants in the world" so to know each and every obscure species in cultivation is truly a monumental task. To make things worse, many of the flowering annuals and perennials are hybrids that simply do not exist in that form in nature. I doubt this is the case with this plant, of which I have a single specimen (courtesy Ramla  Grin) but you will find that many gardeners (even professionals) do not know the Latin names of most plants that they grow, or at most they know only the genus, and often, this may be completely incorrect - the mistaken Latin becomes a "common" appellation.

MG

MWP
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 19:19:25 PM »

Thanks for your reply - it will remain a mystery then !!  Smiley . I am learning that what you said is true in the world of ornamental plants. Too much messing with genes by man to get that super miss-universe plant for good market!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length