[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. September 25, 2018, 17:23:05 PM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  Annuals and Bulbs
| | |-+  calla lilies (buqari)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: calla lilies (buqari)  (Read 11172 times)
rixu
Sunflower

View Profile
calla lilies (buqari)
« on: February 16, 2009, 16:04:31 PM »

Hi, this year I decided to experiment a little and bought some coloured calla lily bulbs (buqari). The pack says that can be sown from March to May but white calla lilies are already in bloom.  Are the coloured ones different?  Shall I sow them in March or store them till fall?

Thanks
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: calla lilies (buqari)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 17:39:26 PM »

The instructions probably apply to cooler climes, where frost, etc, could damage the plants. As you correctly noted, Calla Lilies are in full growth locally. In fact the tendency locally (when grown in the ground) is for these plants to grow during the wet months and be allowed to dry out in Summer.

However if sufficiently watered (they can tolerate being planted in a pond) they should be green all year round.

So the answer is, you can plant them now but I would advise you try to keep them green over Summer too. It may be a bit risky to try to keep the un-planted tuber alive over Summer, for an Autumn planting, there is a risk of insect or fungal attack, dessication, etc.

Given the option I would purchase around Sep/Oct.

MG

rixu
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 18:30:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice MG!

I have no other option than to sow now.  If it's risky to leave them till fall, better risk them now.  Have you any tips as how to keep them green all summer?  I have an open shed, maybe I can plant them in pots and put them in it to protect them from the summer heat? Or do I need to fertilise them at some particular time?
Sorry for my ignorance in the subject, I'm still green at gardening (except my thumbs), but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks again.
apples and pears
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 00:21:03 AM »

I planted mine 2 weeks ago and now little roots have formed. Grin
 I agree with MG, I was thought to plant them one to two months before it was indicated for northern countries.
also
This yearís liliums are already poking through the soil Smiley, and the one's from last year sprouted round the first or second week of January but are slow growing.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/marginal-plant-container/

rixu
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:44:30 AM »

Thanks for your reply and support apples and pears. 
I had the impression (from a web video) that coloured calla lilies do not require much water because they could rot.  However I will be planting them today in compost for good drainage (in pots) and hope for the best. I will keep you posted on the results, whichever they are.

Thank you and good luck with yours too.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:48 AM »

If you keep them watered they should remain green all year round. I don't have specifics about coloured Calla (who knows what they are hybridised with) but the white one, I remember used to grow profusely in the stream at Bahrija, i.e. in the mud and under an inch of water.

Mine are in the ground and I let them dry out in summer but that's more because it is a convenience than anything else!

MG

rixu
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »

Even my mother's white ones (in the ground) do dry out in summer and they come out every year.  I will keep my coloured ones watered well even in summer.

Thanks for the tip MG
apples and pears
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »

The Bahrija stream and it's pools are one of the last refuges of our fresh water crab. So please be careful if any one goes there, and if you really must collect any plants make sure there are plenty before you take one.
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »

Very true.

Incidentally the Callas there appeared to have been removed completely or near enough, several years ago.

Not really a bad thing as they are non native and probably rather invasive in that habitat.

MG

Jetset
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 23:43:00 PM »

Lillies are now in full bloom and each flower seems to have a resident bettle like bug.  Some have two or three to each flower.  I always remember them in lillies.

Do these bugs do any harm....... or are they actually helpfull?
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 20:54:54 PM »

Those bugs seem to live quite happily in the lily flowers and do no harm there.

Beware it's a very different story with the yellow coloured roses. They simply eat them very rapidly before they open!

I find that it's a good idea not to cut the lily flowers so they stay there - otherwise I won't get enjoy intact yellow roses! Shocked
apples and pears
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 22:09:38 PM »

found one of those beetles happily munching away on some carnation leaves,
rixu
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 17:06:42 PM »

Hi, re coloured calla lilies, the results are encouraging.

Out of four tubers, three have sprouted, one had 3 sprouts, one 11 sprouts and one over 25 sprouts.  Two of them have spotted leaves and the one with 3 sprouts have 2 buds, the other two, till this morning, only leaves. 
Unfortunately the fourth tuber did rot and I don't know why, because I treated it just like the other three.  They are in an 8 inch pot and receive morning sun.  I only water when dry and fertilise every week or two.  Anyway, I am satisfied with the results, considering it's my first experience. 

Thanks for your help and encouragement!!
apples and pears
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 17:33:10 PM »

I tried 5 this year from Scala and Kapiteyn all came up; one 2 weeks later than the others.
Kept them out of direct sunlight but well lit in a 50-50 mix compost and soil, at first I watered normally, but found millipedes next to the tubers after the cat knocked them over. I read calla lilies like to grow in bogs so kept the soil soggy (they were already growing new roots) and millipedes donít like flooding.

cutant
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 23:09:30 PM »

Has anyone ever tried growing calla lilies from seeds?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length