[ Home ]

[ Forums ]

[ Links ]

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Kindly note that you need to register and/or be logged in to post messages and replies. This will only take a moment, so please do so today. This step has been made necessary to prevent automated spam message posting. Self registration has been disabled, please send an e-mail to mg@maltagardening.com with your desired username/password, and email address, and your account will be set up promptly. June 19, 2018, 14:06:59 PM
[ Home :: Help :: Search :: Login :: Register ]

+  Malta Gardening.com
|-+  Malta Gardening Forums
| |-+  General Gardening Talk
| | |-+  Moving to Malta
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Moving to Malta  (Read 12367 times)
lynda spain
Sunflower

View Profile
Moving to Malta
« on: November 12, 2008, 13:09:21 PM »

Hi to everybody and look forward to gettng to know you better.  My husband and i were over in Malta last week from Spain and have purchased a house in Sliema.  We should move over next Spring/summer.  I have created a garden here in Spain from scratch and am presently writing a book about it all   www.themenopausalgardener.com  I wish to carry on in Malta to create a Roman/Apothacary garden, and would welcome any thoughts or ideas.  Where are the garden centres on Malta, although we drove around a lot I  didn't spy one anywhere - I guess there must be some, can anybody tell me where?  Also if you know anybody who wants to buy a lovely home in the Andalucian mountains please forward them www.livedifferently.co.uk
Thanks

Live Differently
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
Re: Moving to Malta
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 17:45:47 PM »

Off the top of my head-

Derek's - including an exceptional, cactus garden - Qormi
Calamatta - Limits of San Gwann
Zammit - Qormi
Piscopo - Burmarrad
Sherries - Burmarrad
Flower Power - Ta Qali

Another in Xemxija, road leads to Golden Bay, name eludes me.

MG

Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »

Also:

Dr Adrian's Garden centre in Rabat (sign posted near Ghajn Qajjet Housing Estate)

Muscat's Flora and Evergreen in Old Railway Track - Santa Venera.

Refer to Yellow Pages for further details  Smiley
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »

Also:

Dr Adrian's Garden centre in Rabat

Was under the impression that this outfit was not doing too well - does it still exist?

Last I visited, about a year ago, there was plenty of landscaping, but not too many plants (!).

The property was advertised for sale, too.

MG

Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »

I haven't been there recently. The signs are still there though. When I'm up in Rabat I'll check and drop a line. 
lynda spain
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »

Thanks very much for those, I have written them down and will check them all out when i move over.  I would like to get involved in some way with a gardencentre/nursery once I have settled in, but need to find my feet first.  Do you have get togethers of members of the garden club at all?
There is a good web site that i follow, written by an American lady who has just moved to Malta.  She's very funny and it follows her story of moving there.  Have a look   www.an-american-in-malta.com   
Do you have any Neem trees on the island do you know.  I would like to bring some over if I can, also some olive trees.
Thanks again, the information is really useful
Regards

Live Differently
MG
Administrator
Araucaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »

Do you have any Neem trees on the island do you know.  

The closely related Melia azedarach, (China berry tree) is common and a fast grower from seed.

MG

Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 13:09:42 PM »

If you like Roses and the Romans really loved them!

Probably the best roses are available on order from the Wembley Store in Republic Street,Valletta. They import very beautiful roses from Tantau in Germany. The roses include Polar Star, Love story, Deep Secret, Lavinia, Superstar, Iceberg, Whisky Mac, Cherry Brandy, Blue Moon....

Meilland Roses from France available at Jardinland in Ghajn Tuffieha Road, St Paul's Bay. These include Peace, Papa Meilland, Charles De Gaule...

Calamatta's garden centre sells beautiful English Roses.

Other Garden centres like Il-Palma in Pitkali Road Attard seem to stock up with Italian Roses.

The best Government Nursery is Wied Incita Nursery on the Rabat road in Attard. You can even buy fresh oranges in Winter there.

As roses come from considerably cooler climates they tend to slow down in growth during the hot summer months. I prune them in January and late in August too. Flowers are plentiful in Spring/early Summer and Autumn.  In my experience roses age rapidly but I suppose it could be the luck of the draw!

lynda spain
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 19:24:31 PM »

Thanks, I have made a note of all that you have put.  Yes roses were in my thoughts, but wasn't sure whether i would be able to get them easily in Malta.  That's great news.  Roses are hard to find here in Spain with no choice to speak of when you do find them.   Looking forward to our move to Malta.

Live Differently
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 20:20:32 PM »

It is also possible to buy roses directly from UK.

I had to ask for a freedom from disease certificate but that was before accession to EU when I bought Just Joey. Bare rooted rose was delivered safe and sound by post.

Things might be simpler now.... Smiley
lynda spain
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 10:53:51 AM »

That's great.  So much to look forward too.

Live Differently
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »

You may find this web site particularly useful to look up current events etc.

www.thebigproject.co.uk

and specifically in Malta

www.di-ve.com

jajay
Tamarisk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 18:50:05 PM »

Hi to all,

..ehm as far as I know Dr. Adrian's garden centre has closed down. Pity I never managed to see it - from the website it looked like quite something nice. The one on the road that leads to Golden Bay I think it is Jardinland.

Welcome Lynda hope you will like living here.  There is another garden centre in Gozo, in its capital city Victoria if I'm not mistaken, but totally forgot the name sorry! 
Avocado
Cypress Tree

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 20:04:35 PM »

I intend to check about Dr Adrian's Garden Centre next week and get back to you sometime next week.

Do you recall the great program on Television in the late 90s - Naturambjent?

He was a great presenter with expert advice and sound practical tips about Gardening! I remember one particular program about the Goldfish plant (Columnea) which had introduced me to this plant and how to care for it.

He even published a number (possibly 4?) of colourful magazines about gardening in Malta but for some reason stopped.

Sadly even Archipelago a magazine about Malta's environment issued by Nature trust, ran only up to issue 4...

Oh well - At least we have a web site and perhaps Dr Adrian will join the forums....

lynda spain
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 15:26:10 PM »

Thank you both,  am just going to have a look at those web sites.  Do you know if there are any gardening columns in the newspapers on Malta ?  Awake at about three a.m and then couldn't get back  to sleep for planning ideas for our garden in Malta - just get a good idea and then instantly forget it when i wake up. Thanks again

Live Differently
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length